Thursday, January 17, 2008

Vinyasa Flow Yoga misinterpreted...

Really, I thought it was a 60 or 90 minute class on Thursday evenings. But it's two hours! And we only get a break if we do child pose, or back out of the class early by doing corpse pose for at least 10 minutes before we leave (this is our signal to the instructor). I don't want to leave a negative impression. If my knee hadn't been feeling somewhat "loose" due to my walking program (and not stretching enough after) I would have thrown myself into it somewhat more. But I did OK. (FYI, I have 2 college credits in yoga from 34 years ago.) I iced the knee for 2x15 minutes tonight and will keep a (what---eye? on it).

Vivian is our instructor (I use the classic spelling since I don't know how she actually spells her name). She engaged each participant privately before class started to get name, health issues, yoga experience, and even put our names on post-it notes(tm) on our mats. I thought this was a good thing. She's young (in my estimation), experienced, even-tempered and humourous. Good start. But I found my muscles shaking while lowering myself from Plank position after the nth repetition of the second variation of Sun exercise. Um, this is a good thing -- holding the Plank pose, I mean. I did walk home from yoga class (about 20 minutes or so) with a couple of bottles of wine in my backpack...

Admission: for breakfast I ate 1 cup of President's Choice(tm) Extra Raisin/Raisin a la folle ("crazy raisins") raisin bran cereal with 2% milk and an apple; for lunch I ate spinach lasagne and salad and a huge shortbread cookie. For an afternoon snack I ate salted peanuts from the vending machine. Result: whoa. After 2 hrs yoga and walk: 18.6. I had hopes. This morning's BG was 10.9---better than usual. Maybe tomorrow, after tonight's exercise.

No comments: