Saturday, March 21, 2009

This has been a day

Family and home issues are distracting me from managing my diabetes. I am doing my best to be vegetarian/vegan this weekend to help manage my cholesterol, but I don't know how well I'm doing. Also, I drink WAY too much booze.

It's really lovely how MEN get together and combine their testosteronal powers to scare ignorant home-owner ladies like me. I had three Eastern European gentlemen who work for the City of Toronto's Downspout Program (www.toronto.ca\water) come to scare me first, ten minutes early. Then official Toronto Downspout Man Bill came (exactly on time) to scare me some more. Then the Large Toronto Roofing company professional Toby (in gorgeous clean black bib-alls) came to scare me even more. I'm glad it was a nice sunny, though chilly, day. I got rid of most of my wine hangover by going out in a t-shirt and light pants and clearing off the back patio in 0C weather so that the Men with Ladders and t-squares could climb up and tell me how really really desperate my roof situation is.

My original good honest roofer called me back today and said, yep, they're scaring you. He's been in the business for decades and had given me good info (but I'd really like to know what's up there). The Large Toronto Roofing company professional Toby will be back on Monday morning to tell me all about it. I gotta call my insurance company about this pretty soon...

3 comments:

Craig Saunders said...

I missed the background to this, somehow. I do remember mention of roof problems in the past, but not the details of the latest problems.

As for diabetes, I spent a morning in Tampa this week with sundry doctors and optometrists at a roundtable meeting on eye health provision in the United States. The relative cost of universal screening and resultant savings on health care provision, particularly for diabetics, was the main topic of discussion. As it was a few years back when a similar roundtable on low vision took place in Toronto and all the research showed that universal screenings and eye exams would save so much money on health care that it would pay for itself many times over.

That was just before Ontario delisted eye exams.

David Alexander said...

If you're finding healthy veg eating to be a challenge, you might want to check out this site, and sign up for one week of daily emails with nutritious tips and recipes.

http://veggiechallenge.com

KarenInTo said...

Craig: My roof was replaced 3 years ago. An error by that roofer allowed melt water from ice damming to come in, which was in turn caused by faulty gutters that were installed when I had the city disconnect the downspout in the back.

I hadn't realized that eye exams had been delisted by the Mike Harris Tories. Like so many other things they did that were destructive to public health.

David: thank you for the URL. I have signed up for the challenge. My next challenge will be cleaning the kitchen...