Sunday, March 8, 2009

Bread of dreams

Sorry, Mark Bittman, but your no-knead bread don't cut it (or maybe I need to follow the recipe better). Jim Lahey's no-knead bread recipe (3 cups flour, 1/4 teaspoon yeast, 1.5 tsp salt, and 1.5 cups water) is the best. My brother has followed the recipe a few times already, though he claims he uses more yeast. I admit I haven't tried the Artisan Bread in Five Minutes yet, but I will when my supplies come in from Bob's Red Mill on Friday (I hope; UPS, are you listening?).

This is the beautiful loaf (one-third Ontario whole wheat flour) that I ate yesterday. Yes. I ate it all. Not at once, of course. I did shoot up a bit of extra insulin last night, though that's just silly.


This is the loaf I just put in the oven 3 minutes ago: 1 cup all purpose flour, 1 cup whole wheat, and one cup oat bran. You need to preheat the dish for 30 minutes before you drop the dough in (it sizzles a bit), then cover it for the first 30 minutes of baking. It will be done in about 45 minutes, but needs to cool completely before one digs in.




I got this nice Pyrex covered dish at Value Village for about 4 bucks CA.

No comments: