Monday, July 6, 2009

I'm trapped! But I may try to escape...


As I suspected, my endo wants me on multiple daily injections (MDI). We did not speak one word about the roles and benefits of diet and exercise in blood sugar control. He did not ask me what I eat or when, or whether I get at least 30 minutes a day of moderate exercise. He said if he had his druthers, he'd put every one of his diabetes patients on MDI as soon as they were diagnosed. He showed me a little PowerPoint presentation (training tool) on determining the efficacy of various doses at different times.

And in his office, after a 20-minute walk and a 45-minute wait, my BP was 102/60, which is very low! And I have put on a couple of pounds in the last couple of weeks. And I have been more active this week.

I might have mentioned that I don't cook that much -- I have food, appliances, cookware, and so on, but every flat surface is covered with clutter and filth. I figured I do have a place for everything -- it's getting everything in its place that's the bother. In the past I've been a maker of lists. I haven't done so recently but I've been keeping a kind of diary. Although it's in Word I don't go back and edit what I've written. It seems to be motivating me for some reason.

Inertia: a body at rest tends to stay at rest; a body in motion tends to stay in motion. It’s the motion I need! Next steps: finish dishes; unhang laundry and hang fresh load; pull out stove and fridge and collect all the cat toys underneath. That’s exercise for you!

3 comments:

jimpurdy1943@yahoo.com said...

You said:
"As I suspected, my endo wants me on multiple daily injections (MDI). We did not speak one word about the roles and benefits of diet and exercise in blood sugar control. He did not ask me what I eat or when, or whether I get at least 30 minutes a day of moderate exercise. He said if he had his druthers, he'd put every one of his diabetes patients on MDI as soon as they were diagnosed."

I hope you immediately found another doctor as soon as you left his office. If not, why not?

KarenInTo said...

Hi, Jim -- the only way to get to see an endo is by referral from my family doctor. She did say she'd try to find me another one, but he/she would probably follow the same routine.

jimpurdy1943@yahoo.com said...

Experiences like that have made me very skeptical of all mainstream doctors.

Part of the problem is that our health care system forces doctors to spend only about 30 seconds per patient, which gives them just enough time to write a couple of prescriptions and rush you out the door.

Unfortunately, doctors don't get paid to take the time to talk about cheaper, more effective and safer lifestyle changes, like healthy diet.

Some days I feel like looking for a naturopath, a homeopath, a chiropractor, a snake-oil quack, just anybody who is not part of BigPharma's marketing system.

Best wishes to you.