Thursday, May 21, 2009

Overpackaging is a sin!


This is the package containing free samples of skin lotion I received the other day. The quality of the image is lousy, but the tubes are on the lower right next to a Canadian dollar coin (aka loonie). The box is about 12" x 5" x 2", and the accordian folded paper was rattling around inside. My goodness! I will probably keep the folded paper for something (maybe carry it around in my bag and use a piece to steady a wobbly patio table).

When I buy shoes I make the store keep the boxes. I didn't buy an interesting product (a little tube of window cleaner that you dilute with water in a spray bottle) because along with the huge cardboard package with testimonials, instructions, and cautions, it was all wrapped in PET plastic, the kind you need scissors or lawn shears to open.

I think I'll e-mail the company to thank them for the product and ask them to reduce their packaging.

UPDATE: I did get a canned response from the company that didn't exactly address my concern about overpackaging:
P&G is committed to ensuring our products, packaging, and operations are safe for consumers and the environment. For products that go out with the trash, our approach is to reduce, reuse, recycle, compost, or incinerate waste (with energy recovered) prior to land filling, wherever it's environmentally and economically appropriate. We're continually researching alternatives for more environmentally improved products and packaging. For more information about what P&G is doing to achieve this, please visit http://www.pg.com/sr Thanks again for writing.

No comments: